Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Note from the Director- Vivek Vijayakumaran

The script came to me at a time when my mornings were being welcomed by bomb blasts, killings, crime reports and recession in the newspapers. A strong will from within motivated and pushed me to tell this story, to direct it and to make a personal journey with it.

I have not selected any of my actors/musician through an audition. Because it was important for me as a director to know my actor, to find a connection which is personal. When I am with my actor in the heat of rehearsal I need to be in love with the human in the actor/actors that I am trying to deal with. I believe when creation happens treading on this path, it becomes more personal for both the actor and the director and thus more belief seeps in.

Over these five months, I have developed a way of directing for myself which is very intuitive to the extent that, I don’t know what I am going to do with my actors until I enter the rehearsal space and finish with my warm up. I also somewhere feel that this discovery has got a lot to do with the idea/concept of the play!

Trusting this discovery took us to my ancestral home in kerala for three very significant days of work, where we trained in the lap of nature making discoveries that surprised us. A great learning came when we were able to work on certain scenes in its realistic settings, as it just opens up so many possibilities. We have also been fortunate enough for being able to work on our creation in six different spaces.

Trusting the light in me I dedicate all my efforts towards this play to my mother. As this is also my first creation after she left her body.

A big reason behind me being able to direct this play is Abhishek Majumdar. Who has been there like a friend, partner, brother and a teacher.

Thank you God!

2 comments:

  1. Hey vivek,
    I heard a lot about this play and the training from my friend Bhakti, who is one of your actors :). I loved the concept of the play. I can imagine from the pictures here how the play would be. Wonderful idea i must say to take the actors close to nature and let the person inside them come out! I wish I were there to watch the show. Best wishes!
    Good bless the "Beyond.." team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey kunjaps ..........................u sound like some one who truely knows himself very well................your idea behind the kerela trip sounds so cool...to rehearse under realistic conditions.....looking forward for a great show

    ReplyDelete